Awwwwwwww…. Isn’t this little doggie so sweet and innocent? Who could ever be mad at a face like this?
What if you came home and found that the arm of your sofa had been destroyed by this little doggie?? Then how would you feel???
Needless to say, I was not a happy camper. You see, this is not the first time (or the last time I’m afraid) Zoro has destroyed a piece of furniture in our house. The little mutt just can’t be left out of his crate while we are not home, and this is what I get for taking pity on him for a few hours.
To be clear, I’m not heartbroken about the couch so much, it’s more about the fact that Zoro can’t calm down and be trusted.
The couch itself is a hand-me-down from my parents who purchased it in 1996 and then had the cushions re-fit with new foam in 2002. The tops of the arms were already a little brittle from the sun coming in the windows and in the middle of the upright part of the sofa there was a green stripe of magic marker made by my daughter when she was in kindergarten (which I discretely hid with a large pillow). But hey…it was still in working order and we had hopes that this sofa would last us until my daughter was older.
So I came up with this crazy idea. What if I re-stuff the arm and patch it. What the heck….I couldn’t make it any worse than it already was.
I already had the material that I purchased when I made these cute curtains for my living room.
So here are the other materials I used for this project.
Who noticed that I don’t have a sewing machine in that picture?
Until I had a good number (about 9). It’s always best to have an odd number because an even number would give too much symmetry and would make the patches less random.
Next I hemmed the edges with the fabric glue like so…
Now didn’t that look easy? Sorry to say it is NOT easy, but an hour and ten very sticky fingertips later, I was finished.
While they dried I used the batting to add the fill back to the arm of the sofa.
Now I was ready to do a placement check. So I laid the patches out on the sofa where I thought they would look best and then I played with the configuration until it looked right to me.
Once they were in the right places, I turned them over, added the fabric glue being sure to get very close to all the edges and then I flipped them over and glued those buggers down. I let them dry for about an hour, then went back to re-glue any edges that did not adhere the first time.
Voila!! My sofa was as good as new….er as good as well used!
In the end (after the picture above was taken) I went back and added more patches to the cushions to make it look more evenly patched. Then I went through the whole process again with the love seat because of course they have to match.
Now I’m not saying that this is great for everyone’s sofa issues. It was totally possible with my decor, but it probably wouldn’t look so swell if you have an extremely modern decor. I’m just happy that I found a way to get a few more years out of this old faithful furniture.
Or I should say, with a pre-teen, two dogs and a cat, I HOPE to get a few more years out of this furniture.
Hmmm…I can foresee some more patch jobs in its future.
Until then, I have time for a few other projects.
Stop back tomorrow for my fabric topiary!
The Hopewell Homesteader
BTW…. I didn’t use a sewing machine for those curtains either. Ha!