One day, about two years ago, I was driving along and I spied with my little eye a lonesome china cabinet sitting next to a big dumpster, and being the sucker that I am, I decided to stop and take a closer look to see if I could put the poor thing to use.
Upon inspection I discovered that it was in decent working order with a scratch or two here and there. “Perfect!” I thought, now how the heck do I get it home? Enter my loyal husband, who after much pleading on the cell phone, caved in and came to pick it up in his truck, drive it home and heft it into our basement storage room, all while grumbling under his breath about another project I don’t have time for.
Cut to two years later…..I FINALLY had an refinishing epiphany. MOD PODGE!!
Mod Podge, how do I love thee. Let me count the ways…..
- No sanding
- No scraping
- No fumes
- No nail destruction necessary
- So easy my daughter can help me
- Super easy clean-up
- Easy to fix if you make a mistake
I could go on, but I will spare you. Suffice it to say, Mod Podge is the miracle cure for the lazy disease that ails me.
The first thing I did was to get together the following supplies:
- 3 Big Bottles of Mod Podge
- A package of foam brushes
- A disposable plastic dish (mine are reused chinese takeout containers)
- A book of coordinating scrapbook paper that went well with the room where the cabinet would be sitting
Next I cut the pages of the scrap-book paper into 4 equal squares which made them easier to work with.
Once my materials were ready, it was time to move to my work area (A.K.A. the Laundry Room).
With the cabinet situated, I wiped the whole thing down with a spic-n-span and water mixture.
Then it was time to get my creative juices flowing!
Inside the cabinet, I decided to use only the antique newsprint and on the outside I used the floral prints. To attach the paper, I simply painted the Mod Podge onto the surface of the cabinet, placed the paper where I wanted it to go, then painted over it with another coat of Mod Podge. I was sure to overlap the papers each time I added another piece. I also cut the pieces down to size when necessary.
This is how things progressed:
Overall, it took my daughter and I about 3 hours to complete the initial covering.
YES, it is so easy that this 10 year old could do it. She even thought it was kinda cool…at least for the first hour.
Anyway, back to the point of this post. When every area was covered, I painted a layer of Mod Podge over the top of everything and let it dry overnight.
The next day I added another coat of Mod Podge and checked for any sides or corners that might not have adhered. I found a few and remedied the situation by rubbing some Mod Podge under the loose edge with my fingers and then applying pressure to the edge for a few seconds. I again left it to dry overnight.
On the third day, after pleading with my husband to heft it up the stairs, it was put into its rightful home in my kitchen. And this is how it looks:
I really love how it turned out. Especially the inside with all the old newsprint! It is the perfect storage for all of my cookbooks.
It would be ABSOLUTELY perfect if I had a farmhouse kitchen, but that is a story for another day.
I think I need to get a few tin seed signs for the side wall to enhance the farmhouse feel, but for now I’ve simply complemented it with a lovely dog food dish and a friendly helper.
Have a great day!!
The Hopewell Homesteader
BTW….I am in no way affiliated with Mod Podge. It’s just a great invention that saved me a ton of work and I love it. I’m sure there are other brands of the same type of stuff out there. Feel free to use any kind you like.